
Bridgetown (Barbados): Captain Chris Gayle rubbished rumours of West Indies boycotting the rest of the one-day international series against England because of another dispute with the national cricket board.
The third one-dayer in the five-match series is on Friday.
"There wasn't any threat made about boycotting any games, not to my knowledge," Gayle said after training on Thursday. "If the game wasn't supposed to go on, I'd be home cocking up my legs now.
"We're making a lot of progress (on negotiations with the West Indies Cricket Board) which is good. There has been speculation about no game and so forth but the games will be going on."
The West Indies Players Association (WIPA) and the WICB met in Barbados over the past two days to discuss players' concerns over a range of issues.
WIPA president Dinanath Ramnarine, in tendering his resignation from the WICB last week, said that chief among the problems was the WICB's continued bypassing of WIPA on important decisions.
Also among WIPA's complaints were nonpayment of fees for recent tours, retainer contracts and for injury compensation, scheduling of tours and provision for the Provident Fund which supplies pensions for retired players.
Gayle said he had confidence in Ramnarine, the former Test leg-spinner, and his team would not be distracted by events off the field as it prepared for Friday's match.
No comments:
Post a Comment